Saturday, November 14, 2015

Yancey's "Writing Assessment in the Early Twenty-First Century" and Bean's "Using Rubrics to Develop Grading Criteria"


I really enjoyed Yancey’s piece, “Writing Assessment in the Early Twenty-First Century.” It seems that I find her voice very easy to listen to as she explains the particulars of assessing a student’s writing. The idea of becoming both hero and villain when in this position creates an amusing, and accurate visual, at least for me. Her concern over how this challenge can be both met and overcome is very refreshing as was the reminder about both the importance and use of reflection in writing.

The brief, yet concise, history of the “three waves” of writing assessment helped clarify the various changes along the way, including rubrics and portfolios which have been integrated smoothly, and proven advantageous additions. I also enjoyed the information on “writing-across-the-curriculum” or WAC programs (mainly because my knowledge of such programs is limited). I felt the proposal to include digital technologies in writing as far back as 2008 in their program is evidence of their revision process as well as of healthy progress.

The model I found most impressive was the one at University of Kentucky—this one piqued my interest. The five outcomes they used were: ethos, structure, analysis, evidence and conventions. These were “…designed into a four-point analytic scoring guide that was used to see how students fared on each of the five criteria”(177) based on various scales of development. The findings were positive, and produced target areas to further develop such as critical thinking skills. Overall, this seemed a very successful program.

Once again, the global and local issues were addressed, and the VSA exam, that a student might be paid to take, seems a waste of time for student development as well as aiding in curricula. Yancey’s references to reflection are sadly true—one needs TIME to effectively utilize reflection in their writing process. I know I often wish I had that time to truly think about what I wanted to say instead of having to write it all down in such a flurry.

John C. Bean’s “In Using Rubrics to Develop and Apply Grading Criteria” was a very simple breakdown of several types of Rubrics, including examples of the different types. I never realized the sea of contention over grading students writing fairly, and the numerous methods tried by teachers over the years. Probably because I was the student and usually felt comfortable with whatever was written on my papers, I never gave it much thought. Of course, now that I am thinking about being the teacher, I am giving it a great deal of thought, so I find all of this very beneficial information.

The history, Diederich’ research and its effect on group assessments of writing was very interesting, especially because it also enabled individuals to grade papers more fairly. The overview of rubrics was quite helpful to me as I only was introduced to them when my younger children would bring them home from school. I tried to grasp them fully, and often wondered if I was getting them right. When I returned to school myself, there they were again, and I hoped I was fulfilling all the areas as was expected.

Reading about them like this was very simplified so I liked it. The generic rubric I am more familiar with but have seen the Task-Specific one on occasion. Now that I understand how this can simplify things for the teacher as they grade, they seem less ominous. I think the task-specific ones can be wonderful as long as they aren’t overwhelming for the student. Between both essays, I came away with a renewed interest in portfolios, which I find helpful (though I like to have enough time to prepare one and to write my reflection of this process) and a new interest in Rubrics, as they appear to be a very helpful tool for both teachers (for grading) and students to incorporate into their writing process. At last, using a Rubric seems less complicated then solving a Rubik’s cube!

No comments:

Post a Comment